Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Got Milk?

My daughter has had gas since we brought her home.  I always thought it was much worse than it should be but the doctor said nothing to worry about as long as she doesn’t have blood in her poo. Well to be honest I still thought something was wrong but figured it must not be to bad or she would have worse symptoms. So I did some research and found that she would have a mucusy poo if she was struggling with dairy. I’m going to be honest my books say look for a mucousy poo but what does that really look like? I don’t know so we have spent the last few weeks trying to figure that out and finally we are pretty sure we know and yes she is struggling with dairy and maybe soy. It will be much harder for me to give up soy so I’m just giving up dairy and the moment and hoping that will fix the problem.  How is it that dairy is in everything? It’s like vermin it just creeps up on you and gets into every nook and cranny. Did you know that there is dairy in top ramen? Also dairy in my canned tuna and in soy cheese which I thought would be dairy free, since my vegan cousin eats it but nope it contains milk protein which seems to defeat the purpose of being dairy free. I feel more and more for those who are casein free due to an allergy, they are sneaky with it. Thankfully I don’t think my daughter has an allergy just and intolerance that she should grow out of. But wow those with an allergy really have to be careful it’s milky out there.

3 comments:

  1. There are SOOOOOO many foods that can make babies gassy, dairy is always the first to rule out :/ Went through this with my daughter too, stinks! Do you eat a lot of spicy foods, onions and peppers? Those can always be culprits too :( Good Luck!
    -Jenee

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a hassle!!! You would think it would be easier to cut out dairy. I didnt realize they put it in so many things. Hope this helps her feel better!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to my world! As for vegan cheese, try tofutti cheese slices (for grilled cheese, although this is soy) another that I just found is Vegan pepper jack Rice Cheese Slices by Galaxy Nutritional Foods (for quesadillas, make sure you get the vegan one, they make one that is only vegetarian) although I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of fake cheese, most of the time I'd rather just do without or make it myself, oh and for mac and cheese I can send you a recipe. As for milk we have been loving the coconut milk it works well in almost everything. Another cheese brand that is popular with vegans is daiya although I've never bought it because it's expensive and like I said generally I'd just rather do without. Hope this helps the little darling feel better.

    ReplyDelete