Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My tiny Pterodactyl

Not long ago my daughter was a semi silent lump of a baby that did nothing but eat, sleep and poo.  She almost never cried, but she did make some crazy noises that had me saying I gave birth to a baby pterodactyl.  The baby books said she would be cooing, but what the heck does cooing sound like.  We weren’t sure (the books say a lot of things that we aren’t sure what they mean, we live in a constant state of confusion.)  In the last 2 months that has changed dramatically.  She learned to smile which made my heart melt.  She smiled for a while and just when we started wondering if that was the only trick she was ever going to learn her pterodactyl noises started changing into, you guessed it, sounds that actually sounded like coos.  A few weeks ago she started laughing, which is still sort of strange since it sounds more like a scream than a laugh but she is smiling so wide that we just assume it’s a laugh.  She has also started combining sounds and trying to mimic our words.  This is hilarious so we say things just to see if she will mimic them.  One of our favorites is hi, we also work on mommy and daddy but she is not getting those any time soon.  My husband has even made up the goo (she says goo a lot) alphabet which is every letter/sound with goo tacked on the end.  It’s pretty funny to listen to.  I have also started doing things which I’m sure make me sound like I’ve lost more than a few brain cells.  But it makes my daughter and I laugh, so who cares if my neighbors walking by think I’m losing my mind.  She is trying so hard to talk and she just loves it when we talk back to her.  I often wonder if she knows we have no idea what she is saying, or if she thinks we should learn her language. We always tell her this is America you should speak American (for all of you who are cursing me right now that was a joke lighten up. We do say that to her but jokingly, we know its English not American). I am working on just enjoying where she is but I just can’t seem to wait to hear her little voice saying words (she doesn’t need to learn them all just a few, the cute ones).

1 comment:

  1. I know a lot (by a lot I mean 2) families that taught / are teaching their babies sign language. They say it helps them from being frustrated (and screaming) because they can communicate sooner since motor skills develop faster than verbal skills.

    ReplyDelete