Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Babes in Toyland

One of the things I never have to worry about is that my daughter won’t want to play with me. She always wants to play or chat (really anything that isn’t sleep, she is up for.).  While I enjoy playing with my daughter I don’t have time to play with her all day every day. I have started trying to get her to play with toys and she will for a few minutes at a time but not very long (about as long as it takes to pee). Something I have noticed is that there really aren’t that many toys made for 4 month old babies that they can actually play with. The same with teething rings, they are so big they can’t even fit in her mouth. How is this effective pain relief? If it doesn’t fit in her mouth they are just ridiculously expensive pieces of plastic.  I feel like toys at this age are really just a huge waste of money. We have bought so many expensive toys that she could care less about. You know what she likes, this stupid little ball. I feel like she likes it, because it’s one of the few things she can actually pick up and put in her mouth. They make baby toys as big as the baby; seriously she has this elephant that is as big as she is. How is she supposed to play with it?  I have no idea how she is supposed to manipulate these things I understand you don’t want babies to have toys that they can choke on, but they should be able to hold them in their hands.  She does seem to like her hands but I just can’t seem to let myself leave her alone with just her hands to entertain her. I absolutely refuse to sit her in front of the TV I’m keeping the TV in my back pocket for when she gets older. If she gets used to watching it now it won’t be so exciting when I let her watch it later. I just wish toy makers would make toys my daughter actually wants to play with.

6 comments:

  1. Totally agree!! It gets better when they have toys but all they want to play with is the jumbo pack of paper towels you bought from Costco because they can push it, climb on it, knock it down, etc. I think that is partly why they love our keys of phones...they fit in their hands and mouths!! LOL

    At that age Derrick only watched Baby Einstein DVDs and he loved them. It would put it on 2-3 times per week and it gave me 30 minutes to get stuff done and because of all the noise and visual stimulation it actually would exhaust him. Just a thought. My little man doesnt like to watch tv. He loves Elmo but even on tv he will stop for 2 minutes, watch, then go run off to do something else. Guess it is a good thing though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I can see Sophia playing like that with the paper towles... the other night Brian gave her a piece of junk mail and she played with it for a long time it was pretty funny.
    I don't have any Baby Einstein but I have some other stuff and she doesn't really seem that interested. But if we are watching something super inappropriate she is all over watching that. Maybe I will go pick up some Baby Einstein and see how it goes. Sometimes I just need a few minutes not holding her or playing with her. It is probably a good thing Derrick likes to run around I think playing makes kids happier than just sitting in front of a TV all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey that ball is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anonymous, the ball sucks. I can't help it that my daughter hasn't aquired taste yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey. I happen to know that your amazing husband with crazy awesome baby toy choosing skills. And see your baby loves the ball. Every girl would be lucky to have someone with such impressive talents.

    ReplyDelete